Tips For Proper Battery Maintenance
Seven tips for proper battery maintenance
- Keep the battery clean, dry, and free from corrosion
- Maintain the correct water level (about one half inch below the battery cap opening)
- Add water only after the charge cycle
- Set up a weekly or bi-monthly watering schedule to ensure proper water levels
- Avoid opportunity charging (charging during break times and lunch breaks) because each time you connect the battery to a charger, it uses one of its life cycles
- Inspect your battery for any defects or malfunctions, and have your service provider repair them as needed
- Have your batteries washed and serviced semi-annually to help control acid and corrosion.
10 commandments of battery care
- Add approved water only— never add acid
- Keep electrolyte level above separator protectors
- Keep battery top clean and dry
- Keep flames and metal away from battery top
- Keep vent caps tightly in place
- Discharge to no lower than 80 percent, and do not operate battery if the specific gravity is below 1.150 for Powerline, Varta, Waterless, and Top Power batteries, and 1.175 for Energy-Plus batteries
- Cool before charging or operating if battery is above 115 degrees Fahrenheit
- Only use approved chargers of correct voltage and current output
- Keep truck compartment and battery cover open during charging
- When in doubt, call your Accurate Forklift Service representative for assistance
- Approved water: Only distilled and deionized water should be added to batteries, be sure to check your manual for specifications.
- Proper electrolyte level: The electrolyte level must be kept between the “high watering level” and the separator protectors. Only fill batteries at the end of the charging cycle.
Talk to Accurate Forklift
Whether it is repairs and maintenance or forklift equipment rental service in Atlanta, Accurate Forklift has got you covered. Talk to us today to discuss your requirements and hear how we can help. We also offer heavy-duty forklift rental services. Just dial 770-692-1455. You can also email us at [email protected], [email protected] or [email protected].